Thursday, March 08, 2007

A Video of Sex, Lies, and Commuting


Click on this graphic for a video of a talk I gave at the University of Toronto, Mississauga, on February 2, 2007, with a full powerpoint accompaniment. (It's at the bottom of the page; I could only get the realplayer version to work.) Following a too kind introduction by UoT professor Amrita Daniere, because she owes me, the talk is a seemingly random series of topics related to travel and the built environment, before deteriorating into one banal truism or falsism after another.

It also marks the introduction, to my knowledge, of the refined social capital concept of "affinity pools," as well as a spirited defense, near the end of the Q&A period (just after my wife asks me an easy question I can't intelligently answer, confirming her deepest suspicions of my day job), of how the facts matter. I don't know if you knew that. That the facts matter, I mean.

The presentation is not very accurate, particularly when I mischaracterize other people's work or fail to give credit where due, or how it makes my head look bigger and balder than it actually is.

No comments:

 

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.planning-research.com
and update your bookmarks.